Monday, October 6

so here's the deal: in the strangest, most beautiful bit of string-pulling ever performed, my father, the greatest man alive, managed to acquire 4 (check that - 3) tickets for tuesday's game one of the nlcs.

after initially turning him down - owing to work and the drive and 'i just got through using four vacation days and i'm not sure how many i have left although it could be just one' and the fact that there's a bit of work to do - i realized what i was passing up. and so i called my boss but got his voicemail. and so i called my boss at home and got his wife. she said 'i'm authorizing you - don't wait for (my boss).' so i called my dad and said 'dad. i'm going. i can't not go.'

and then i began shaking uncontrollably. i'm nervous. for no reason. i have no bearing on the game.

i have to convince myself of that. because, while on the phone with my dad, i was in the process of making lucky chili (for tomorrow), which will be served with lucky generic spaghetti. and now i most certainly won't eat either.

and then there's the issue of the lucky shirt. i'm 2-for-2 when kerry starts and i'm wearing my wood cooperstown classic jersey. can i use this on a non-kerry day? i've decided no...i'll go with my cubs jersey, purchased in sixth grade (perhaps stolen from my dad?), that still fits.

i'm shaking. still.

but i'll be ready to leave work tomorrow at about 1245. and i'll change into my cubs jersey. and i'll go east. and i'll arrive home around 4. and then i'll hope for the best. back at work at 830 wednesday morning. i'm thinking it'll be worth it.

and a note to the politicos: isn't it sad that the california recall thing ends tomorrow? high, high, high comedy.