Tuesday, July 27

maybe it's because i'm a wee bit arrogant sometimes, but i consider myself to be a fringe celebrity. among the 'why did you say my boyfriend grounded out? you're so mean' emails i sometimes get are also messages like 'i really enjoy listening to you' and 'i know that sometimes you've spoken about the concessions at other midwest league ballparks. what's good at peoria?' (i actually got that last week. she loved the mesquite chicken sandwich, or at least told me she did).

anyway, my fringe-fringe-celebrity status has been assured, because one of the local papers wants to do their weekly (i'm pretty sure) 20 quesitons feature on me. so they were in the booth shooting some pictures during sunday's game (i'm hopeful i'll get an 'action' shot, although i'm pretty sure they'll use the 'headphones around neck, smiling, with field in background' shot, sadly). and i'm thinking of stories i can tell and interesting illuminating anecdotes about myself, and then i speak with the beat writer today.

and he hands me a questionnaire.

with things like 'peak moment' and 'pit moment' and 'favorite food' and 'favorite music' and 'people don't know that i' and 'i wish i could' and 'person i'd like to meet' and 'personal quote or motto' and things like that.

and, let me tell you...there's some readership of this thing, and it's very difficult for a pretentious tool with limited and pretentious interests like me to look likable in this thing. and i'm sort of left-leaning, and that doesn't fly here, so i can't really write things like 'i wish i could change' completely honestly, because it'll alienate people.

but, i mean, favorite book: ball four; i'd like to meet: jackie robinson; pit experience: game six of the 2003 nlcs; there's a theme here, and it pigeon-holes me. in my spare time i like to: 'watch 60 minutes and read and do laundry.'

i tell you, it's tough. i've got about a week to ponder.

ps - i'm not really concerned, although it makes me a bit hesitant, or something. people will read this, and i want them to like me, beause that's good for business and good for listenership and it's just generally better to be liked, i shallowly think.