Monday, July 2

Quick, before I write about this past fantastic, too-short weekend (they're all fantastic, and all too short)...

I totally forgot one thing about last weekend, aka The Engagement Party of the Millennium. It's The Crab Walk. And it's an impromptu celebration, appropriate for thrilling cornhole victories, or for in-water celebration after fantastic off-the-dock Frisbee catches, or for anything else that warrants happiness. I'll admit, I was the first one to do it. I'm a revolutionary when it comes to cornhole celebrations. It's good to be king.

- - - - - - -

Let's run down reasons why Gurs is awesome:

1) He came up this weekend.
2) He drank freshly-named 231 IPA out of a Meijer Grape Soda two-liter bottle. We've determined that it's not real good, but that it's not as bad as we expected. All-in-all, it had alcohol, which is important, and we only cracked it out after we had had alcohol, which is more important.
3) He's the brains (and beauty) behind this, an amateur-but-awesome video inspired by Wayne and Garth. It's Abe's World, and it's life-changing. (Seriously. It's six minutes long. The dialogue is perfect. The punchline is fantastic. And it uses all the right Wayne and Garth musical touchstones.) Plus, as a Friday morning email that I happened to see can attest, it's sweeping the Twin Cities. A verifiable viral force.
4) We went to Pyramid Point. Not much of a hike, really, but quite a view. (It was my sense that we were maybe 40 feet above the water. It was probably eight times that. I'm very stupid.) Then we climbed up the much more difficult, much steeper hill. The view wasn't quite as cool but, hey, whatareyagonnado?\
5) He was game for the lamest party in the history of the world. He was game as long as darts was fun, which wasn't long.
6) He settled a debt he didn't know existed...from nine years ago. "My hands are small I know..."
7) He likes fish and chips, outside, in the middle of the day.
8) He made it up here, spending something like 13 hours in the car in a period of less than three days to make it happen.

He also started year two in the other TC today, which is pretty awesome.

- - - - - - -

I don't know if I've got anything else to write. It was fantastic to have him up here.

These past three weekends have confirmed that I'm pretty lucky, basically.

- - - - - -

I said the most amazing, most offensive, and possibly most hilarious thing I've ever said this afternoon at lunch.

I don't know what the discussion was...but the question was proposed, "What does it mean when they say clothes are 'organic?' "

I chimed in: "It means that the sweatshop employees grazed on pesticide-free grass. Free-range sweatshop employees."

Offensive, and awesome, and I'm certainly going to hell.

- - - - - -

This company has not nearly as much fun as we had during beer league softball in The Quad. Then again, beer league softball was actually Beer League softball in The Quad, which is to say, it's awesome.

I only observed today. They got Mercy Rule'd, which is a shame. But there was no chatter, which is a bigger shame. Sigh. (There was but one heckler, and that was me, and I was mostly quiet.)

- - - - - - - -

Joakim Noah. I love it so much. I love it because he's interesting and fairly talented and tries really hard. But I love it most because he's an interesting, interesting, thoughtful guy. And, maybe, just maybe, he'll get to yell something cool at Jim Gray in the next few years: "We're not gonna stop partying until Tuesday. We're gonna show them how we do it in Chicago. Uh-uh-uh-uh." See? Thoughtful.

Don't look now but, besides being interesting, the Cubs also look like a pretty good team. I'll say nothing more.