Wednesday, March 26

Are you a dorky white dude looking to branch out musically?

I've got two suggestions, each available in compact, downloadable, single form. The first is Blackalicious' "Make You Feel That Way," which got a bit of MTV2 airplay last summer. It's about the most positive song I've ever heard, just a list of things that make you feel good. "Christmas day when your mom got you your first bike / Kind of feeling when you went and won your first fight" (note: I don't think I've ever won a fight. At least not by 'fair' means. Mostly flying knee drops to my brother's back.) "Deaf man get his hearing and in come vibes / Blind man get his sight, see his first sunrise." And then it ends with this spoken word thing basically underneath the beat, in which the MC, Gift of Gab, just sort of says "...you know, it's the greatest feeling...just chillin' with your family...it's love, it's love, it's love." It's just a real simple, sweet, smile-inducer of a song.

The other is Cody ChesnuTT's "Somebody's Parent," which certainly isn't as positive and doesn't feature super images and certainly isn't even the best Cody ChesnuTT track (or even one of the 12 best, probably), but it'll be stuck in your head for hours, in a good way. I think it's about 2 minutes long (although I've got a 9-minute version on this here hard drive), and I believe it's only got two verses, each which repeat a few times.

Verse one: "All day with no nicotine / is the reeeea-son I've been so mean. / Oh baby, forgive me for being the dick that i've been to the children and you."

Verse two: "All this, caffeine in me / is the reeeea-son I've been so mean. / Oh honey, forgive me for being the dick that i've been to the children and you."

But, even if these lyrics don't appeal to you, try some other cody. I'd say the best tracks are "Look Good in Leather" and "My Woman, My Guitar."