Monday, May 19

sunday nights are generally 'chores and phone' nights for me. 'chores,' in weeks in which there is an off day and therefore an opportunity to cook dinner, often includes a trip to the grocery store. not just osco, but the real grocery store.

today, i did need to purchase some cereal, and i was about to go purchase my old standby, coco dyno-bites (see related recipe here!), when i noticed something truly wonderful: apparently riding the coattails of last year's phenomenal promotion, post cereals has brought back its major league baseball mini-bobblehead. of course, i chose to purchase the brand name product, fruity pebbles in this case, therefore continuing last year's disturbing trend in which i actually purchase the box of cereal exclusively for the toy inside.

i got jason giambi. bullshit. (expletive not deleted. i'm pissed.)

in other news, i purchased the decemberists' castaways and cutouts, owing to its frequent comparisons to the great neutral milk hotel. the album's opening stanza: "my name is leslie anne levine / my mother birthed me down a dry ravine / my mother birthed me far too soon / born at nine and dead at noon" (italics reprinted from lyric booklet). i'm not expecting mangum, but that certainly is mangumesque.