Sunday, June 26

well, i messed up the template somehow. perhaps i'll fix it, or perhaps you'll have to scroll to the bottom of my interminable archives to get new material. or perhaps you can tell me what the heck i messed up and then i can fix it. sigh.

now, i tend to be compulsive and i tend to get into cd-buying fits. 2 or 3 at a time, maybe three times a month. but i've been pretty good this season...i stayed away from things i sort of wanted, like the beck record and the malkmus record and the sleater-kinney album and things of that nature.

related: on the road, especially when the bus is late in the afternoon, there's down town. i wandered around appleton today, ate my burrito at panchero's, and then proceeded into some used game/music store, pre-played.

bonanza.

the haul:
Frank Black - Teenager of the Year - $4.99
R.E.M. - Green - $3.99
The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers - $5.99 (might as well get some Stones at some point, right. This one has "Wild Horses," which GbV covered at some point. Yes, that's my standard. [And, yes, I know 'the ones to get,' just haven't - and probably never won't - gotten aroudn to it.])

and then...

...

Stephen Malkmus - Face the Truth - $4.99

Total price, with tax: $20.96

You can say I wasted my money. I'll tell you I got CDs that I should, as a frequent music listener, own. And now I do.

Maybe those people who download stuff have it figured it out. They probably just have "Brown Sugar" on their hard drive.

- - - -

Face the Truth truly is pretty wicked. I decided against the latest Brian Wilson (good choice, I read later), and against The Replacements' All Shook Down, which is good. I couldn't find and Belle and Sebastian or any Jesus and Mary Chain or any My Bloody Valentine or any Public Enemy or any De La Soul (I'm devouring that Spin 20th anniversary '100 Best Records of the last 20 years' because I'm a sucker.

I should sleep.