Tuesday, March 7

Second straight baseball-related post and, for that, I apologize.

The best thing I've heard in terms of reaction to Kirby Puckett's death came from Dan Bernstein, 670 AM afternoon host, who was near tears when a caller asked "Why do you guys get such joy in bringing down a dead man?" And a brief caller-to-hosts mini-shouting match ensued (I love sports talk...), with Bernstein and Terry Boers emphasizing that it is their obligation to address Puckett's shortcomings, particularly because they were such a part of his post-baseball existence. The only part, in fact.

And, after a solid 45 seconds of back-and-forth, Bernstein finally gets real loud and, sounding like he was tearing up, says, "He was a great player. He was an awful guy. And now he's dead. And it pains me to say that."

It doesn't come across as dramatic as I thought it was on paper or, in this case, on the screen. But it was well-said.

Puckett was a transcendent player, and one of the most enjoyable to watch ever. It would be real neat if he died in a tragic plane crash instead of contracting glaucoma, because then we would have avoided the downward spiral. I think the 1991 World Series was the most enjoyable ever, mostly because of Puckett.

I guess that's all I've got on that.

- - - - - - - - -

My thoughts on Bonds aren't much more in-depth.

Here's what gets me:
I hate when people say, "You encouraged it. You could tell they were juiced, and yet you still flocked to the ballpark. You were supporting it, and this is what you deserve."

Here's the thing:
I'm quite dumb, or quite naive, anyway, and I didn't believe they were doing anything illegal. At this point, it's pretty apparent they were, but I just didn't even take accusations that seriously eight or nine years ago. I didn't, and it's too bad, I guess.

Another thing: In that magical summer of 1998, Ken Griffey was part of the chase. Ken Griffey is not and has never been on steroids. He just hasn't, and yet he was on the record pace until mid-August.

The home run explosion of the last decade has been a "perfect storm" of circumstances: 24 more "big league" pitchers due to expansion, tiny new ballparks, walls being moved in at others, maple bats, great young hitters outnumbering great young pitchers, improved legal supplements, and steroids. Steroids have been a factor, and the biggest factor, but several other things contributed to it.

Bonds. Not a Hall of Famer. Second straight post in which I've written it. Also, an awful dude.

- - - - - - - -

gurs has re-entered the blogosphere. Things are already interesting over there. Fish, the Pittsburgh Pirates, Dr. Phil, rock music. Also, he has very impressive design skills, a fact borne out by the Kent Tekulve photo towards the right of the page. I've reserved linking for a bit - a provisional period - but I'd imagine he'll "earn" one eventually.

- - - - - - - -

Gosh, I don't know if I have anything else to write. Tailgated (burgers and veggies, not fish and/or chips) prior to a nice Cats win this past Saturday, showing those Gophs that Cats fans know how to get ready for some buckets. The plan for the rest of the night includes making chili, not for tonight, or even for this week, but for next Thursday and the NCAA Tournament opener. Wej called a week ago and said, "Hey, Rud, what are you doing for the first day of the NCAA tournament." And the plans have become, "You take the day off of work. I'll take the day off of work. And we'll gorge ourselves on chili, italian beef, beer and pizza." Should be a highlight.

Also, I've got an actual interview on Wednesday the 15th. This one is a solid lead, one I think I'll get. I also think I'll take it, thanks to Nemo's urging. But I've got to get it first.

Otherwise, it's underworking and getting overpaid, something I've gotten quite good at in the last week or so. Office productivity is down but, eh, it happens. I've gotten much better at emailing over the last three weeks.

Week seven of two, it should be noted, and I'll be gone for much of week eight.