Monday, January 13

Happened to see Interpol on Sunday night at Metro. 'Twas a tight, tight show...not many deviations from the excellent Turn on the Bright Lights, but I think that the greatness of that album became more apparent in a live setting. Paul Banks' voice soars live as much as on the album, and the songs were considerably more rocking in a live setting, or at least I noticed the rocking a bit more.

At the conclusion of a song early in the set, I turned to Mike W. and made a joke about "doing the Arsenio Hall thing" and woofing. The girl in front of me heard, and was all "I dare you to..." like it would be embarrassing or something. So I woofed. Later in the set, during a silent moment between songs, I emitted an extended "AAAOOWWWW" which for some reason prompted laughter from the same girl. I think she thought I was a dork. I also think she should be less image-conscious at a rock concert. Just rock, yknow?

[Note: If you are not named Eric, you should probably skip the following paragraph. If you are named Eric, this is being included to give you, well, more material.]

There was one minor mishap at the outset of the evening. I arrived in near the gurs pad about 745, and spent the requisite 15 minutes or so parking [showtime slated for 9]. Parked, then began the process of determining what to bring with me. ID? Check. Cash? Check. Left the car, noticed the climate was a bit warmer than I thought, went back to the car to deposit my coat [and avoid the smoky smell]. Keys? Not check. Front seat. Car locked. Uf. Went to the gurs pad, called AAA, told "an hour or less." went back to the car to wait about 15 minutes later [now about 830]. Gurs left to meet mike about 840. I call AAA, am told 918 would be the scheduled arrival. Took a walk around the block. Visited the restroom at a local watering hole. Pointed some German guy to clark street [someone had pointed him the wrong way], presumably for him to experience the rock. Sang side two of Bee Thousand to myself, although not in sequential order. Guy showed up about 925. I was in the club by 945, in time for Calla, but not for opener The Race. Apparently The Race was not good, but I enjoyed Calla a bit.

I also beat the Boy in Trivial Pursuit TWICE this weekend. I've regained my "Smartest Guy Alive" title again. Woof.