Sunday, August 20

Let's see if there's anything of interest to write about here. I'm not sure there is, though you can be the judge.

- - - - - -

I took the plunge (and thus stopped violating laws) this week and officially registered the yellow car in the state of Michigan. The pretty version cost me five bucks more than the original recipe, but I decided it was worth it.

I also, while at the counter, made the decision to officially become licensed driver in the state, therefore allowing me to register to vote. Because I hadn't planned to get a license (after all, there's a fee, and my Iowa license didn't expire until '09...I can wait), I didn't have everything needed with me. But the Secretary of State's office is three minutes from my residence, and the lady at the counter gave me the Secretary of State's equivalent of a hall pass, and I headed back to the apartment for my never-used passport and, when I returned, no waiting in line, owing to the hall pass. Basically, it was an incredibly efficient trip.

Plate went on the car Saturday. It looks nice.

- - - - - - - - -

While driving from the Secretary of State's office to work Tuesday morning, I lamented the loss of my front license plate. I've never been in a state that didn't require a front license plate.

So I studied what people did with the front - mostly nothing, just a vacancy. A few college football plates, lots of dealership plates, and a few out-of-state plates (presumably, matching the out-of-state plate on the back, though that is not the case with a coworker of mine.)

I kind of like Northwestern football a lot, and Northwestern in general, so I decided that I'd buy one of those college football plates. Purple and white goes well with yellow, after all.

So upon arrival to work, Priority One was the nusports.com merchandise store. Sadly, I couldn't find one. A few different license plate frames, but no full-sized plate.

At that point, though, I made a decision: I've operated for the last five years of my Northwestern fandom with my 1996 Darnell Autry-Rashad Morton-Hard Hittin' Herschel Henderson-Sherrick McManis black home jersey, purchased on clearance in the summer of 2000 at the Norris Center bookstore for five (or maybe 15) bucks, as the gameday gear of choice.

I decided I was ready to step up my level of fandom. Being that he's a superstar, and being that he's got at least two (I'd think three) years left, it was time to purchase an official Tyrell Sutton replica jersey. I think that white is probably a better-looking option, but I feel like, if one is purchasing a Cats jersey, purple is the option of choice.

I also, for the first time in my life, purchased an NU media guide from the online store. Worth the 15 bucks? Maybe. It's neat to have, and I think I'll make it an annual purchase.

Note: They have finally updated the famous alumni list. Stephen Colbert is now on the list. Zach Braff is now on the list. Luke Donald is on the list. Luis Castillo, interstingly, is not.

Notable omission: Judy Baar Topinka and Rod Blagojevich.

Notable deletion: William Jennings Bryan, who was my favorite on the old list. Also, Adlai Stevenson and Harold Washington.

Notable individual still "famous" enough to remain on the list despite the fact that media guides are now restricted in length: Kate Shindle, Miss America 1998, also credited as an "actress." Also still there, the girl from Father of the Bride.

Point is, good purchases, both.

We're only 11 days from the opener at Miami (Ohio). If DirecTV has ESPNU, and I think it does, I'll come up with a way to tape the game. (I'm working that night.) If not, I'm not sure what I'll do. I sure don't want to miss it.

- - - - - - - - - -

So, I'm generally happy here, as I'm sure you've gleaned. It's a great area, the coworkers are generally great people, and the team is a great success. But I'm also tired. A lot. Long hours (and irresponsible decisions, too) probably contribute to this.

So I updated my resume last week, with the help of Dirtbag, and sent one out to a local company on Tuesday. Insurance. I figure I've had an interesting-to-others job for four years, might as well commit to an incredibly boring one the rest of the way.

Actually, I just flipped through the classifieds, and found things that included "Professional" or "College degree required" or, most importantly, "We'll pay you more than the poverty line." I found one, and haven't heard anything back. (By the time I emailed my resume, the ad had been removed from the paper, so I figure they probably filled it.)

This is more exploratory than "I need out. Now," and I think it will be an interesting learning experience. I know I'd miss baseball if I no longer were employed in the "industry," and I'm pretty sure that other jobs are less interesting that this one. But we'll let it play out. The Ring Fingernail rules.

- - - - - - - - - -

Last night at about 7, when I saw the end of CBS' coverage, I decided that I'd watch the entirety of the PGA Championship Final Round today. Luke Freakin' Donald, paired with Tiger! Awesome.

I've worked about every summer Sunday for the past four years, so I think the last day of golf coverage I've really watched - I mean, paid attention to, and everything - was the 2001 Masters, when Tiger ran away from the field while I was spending the spring in Austin.

I fought the urge to take advantage of the beautiful day outside, and I watched the first 12 holes. At that point, Luke's fate was as sealed as it could be, so I headed out for a career-long run. Tiger's incredible, and Luke kinda cracked under the pressure. Three early putts go down, and I think it's a different day. That is, I think he's got a chance. But, pretty much, you knew it was Tiger's day when he rolled in that long putt on, I think, the third hole.

Anyway, a fun afternoon watching golf. I love - love - hearing Northwestern talked about a lot.

- - - - - - - - - -

Pretty interesting, though not incredibly drop-what-you're-doing-and-read-it-now interesting, cover story about making school lunches healthier in today's New York Times Magazine.

Probably the best part, related to some healthy-eating assembly for K-6 kids at the elementary school:

"Then she introduced Peri Stolic, a smiling, animated bit of intestine. 'She likes to be big and fluffy and filled with fruits and vegetables,' she said, 'because she’s like a tube of toothpaste, and when she’s fluffy, it’s easier to squeeze the garbage out.'"

Think the kids realized that she was talking about poop?

- - - - - - - - - - -

Talked to my older brother on Thursday night. As you know, I don't talk to him much. (Not since the season started.) (That's not a bad thing, though it's not a good thing, and I think we just kind of accept it. Not much in the way of common interests, so not much to talk about. It's okay, though sometimes I wish we talked more. Generally, after we talk.) As you might also know, he's getting married next month.

So I'll be an usher in a few weeks. I don't think that it's very difficult to be an usher. The Boy is very smart, and he'll be an usher as well, so I think I'll follow his lead.

I confirmed with my older brother that there will be a full open bar (no shots, however) at the reception. I did not ask if he'd mind if I performed my ushering duties hammered. (I probably wouldn't, even if he said I could. I'd have to pay for the booze in that case, because I figure the bar's not open until after they're married. Seems pretty standard.)

- - - - - -

A few weeks ago, Gurs and I (mostly I) were lamenting the fact that pitchfork doesn't have an Upcoming Release Dates page any more. Of course, the page wasn't updated regularly, and was generally unhelpful. It always ended with "Guns 'N Roses - Chinese Democracy - 20??", which is pretty funny, in all cases.

Anyway, I've found a good replacement, finally, here. It confirms that The Mountain Goats record is out Tuesday, and gives September 12 as the U.S. release for the TV on the Radio CD (I've not heard it, and I'll probably buy it), and does not list Lupe Fiasco.

Also, metacritic, in general, is a pretty good site. I enjoy it a lot.

- - - - - - -

Also, I should comment that The Gurs Blog has been absolutely fantastic lately. Again. Please read it. He's one talented dude. I can't wait for a report on his return visit to the St. Paul Saints game, or for a story about hiking. All good, friends, all good.

- - - - - - -

Gurs' last post makes reference the Twins. I was really happy this week to see that Sports Illustrated published an article on the greatness of the American League Central division. A road trip article, it was to be, recounting how awesome the Tigers, Twins, and White Sox are. And, more importantly, how awesome their fans are.

Anyway, I was looking forward to it, but the article sucked. Hardcore. Too bad, too, because it's a great, great topic. But poorly done. (I know that an interesting divisional/wild card race doesn't justify a "Gary Smith follows McGwire, Sosa, and Griffey in 1998"-style article, but it sure should have been better than a four-page piece. But, then again, most writers aren't Gary Smith.)

- - - - - - - - - -

WIDiRVOFoW

This Week's Reason: Again, he doesn't understand baseball.

I'm listening to the game tonight, and he's going around the league with scores, and he mentions that a home team won in 12 innings. One-run game. And he says "So we know it's a walk-off home run, but we don't know who it it." And that's flat wrong, of course, because it could have been a single, or a wild pitch, or a bases-loaded walk, or any number of things. To assume it's a walk-off homer is just wrong, dumbass.

Again, I'm stretching on this week's WIDiRVOFoW. I think I've stopped looking for things, or maybe I've just come to appreciate his awfulness for what it is. That is, I've finally come to terms with his awfulness, and I'm living with it, and I'm focusing on coexistence rather than realzing every single reason he sucks. Also, his chronic curtness and natural arrogance and rudeness are things that I'm used to by this point; they don't stick out, and the WIDiRVOFoW suffers. Sigh.