Wednesday, September 27

A very, very quick Friday, an exciting weekend, and three exhausting days:

Friday:
3:30 p.m.
Company B: "Come in for a second interview."
Me: "Cool."

4:15 p.m.
Me: "Hey Company A. Thanks for the job offer. I've got a second interview, and I'd probably be making a lot more money."
Company A: "Hey, I'll call you back."

4:30 p.m.
Company A: "Hey. The offer's off the table at 5."
Me: "Okay. Then we're on."
Company A: "Let me call you back."

5:02 p.m.
Company A: "You'll start Monday?"
Me: "Let's do it."
Company A: "Are you sure you want to do it?"
Me: "Yeah."
Company A: "See you Monday."

6:04 p.m.
Me: "Hey. I've got to cancel my interview for Monday. I've accepted another job."
Company B: "Big mistake. You had a good chance here. They said good things about you."
Me: "Yeah. I figure this is probably a better fit for my personality and skills."
Company B: "You're wrong." Click.

So, it was oddly uncomfortable, despite the fact that, on Friday at 3:22, I was fully-committed to A, and just hoping to squeeze out a couple more dollars (though not necessarily, but I'm pretty sure of that).

Yeah, so, employed. Awesome. Remaining in the Ring Fingernail.

- - - - - - - -

My pal Dave called after NU's loss at Nevada on Friday. He watched every minute of it, and he was pretty down. But we talked through it, and determined that things will be just fine. They're not a good team yet, but they'll be a good time by the end of the season. Six wins is not out of the question, though four is more likely.

Also, I enjoyed the game more than Tina did, for the record.

- - - - - - - -

A former coworker got married on Saturday, and it was a blast. Several Kessler and Seven's probably contributed to the blast-worthiness, but so did the company. And the fact that, you know, my news was not depressing, but rather good. It's nice to tell the owners' son," "I've got a job," rather than, "Well, still trying to work it out."

- - - - - - - - - -

Job is ultra-casual, though we work a lot, too. That is, there's considerably less screwing-off time when I'm in work mode. But it's also a successful operation, and it's pretty neat to be a part of things. It's out of the realm of anything that could be called an "area of expertise" for me, though I like talking to people (a big part of things). I think I've learned a lot in three days.

The highlight of the day comes at 3:15 every day - mandatory recess. Well, I'm not sure if it's mandatory, but I was told on my first day that "We pretty much shut down the office for a half-hour," which is pretty great. Today's volleyball (three days in a row, and perhaps until the snow comes) game was in the rain, but was totally worth it. I've got a lot of work to do on my serve.

We're also an ultra-casual office. Jeans are the norm. Lots of t-shirts, and I figure I'll pretty much wear too-big plaid shirts on a daily basis. Anyway, I was very impressed today - a big client was in town (they're never in town, owing to the Ring Fingernail location and the nature of online businesses in general), and we were told to dress nicely. This meant slacks. Anyway, the dude who was in the Poison Look What the Cat Dragged In t-shirt on Tuesday was totally in a badass lime green button-down Wednesday. Pretty cool.

For my part, I wore my nice shoes, but that didn't keep me from a half-hour of volleyball.

- - - - - - - - -

Pretty geeked for the Tigers in the postseason. I'm 95 percent on Sunday's end-of-regular-season game, and the plan is to be at both Game One and Game Two next week. Here's hoping for a Tuesday and Wednesday and, potentially, a Sunday Game Five. That'd be totally awesome.

- - - - - - - -

Now that I've got an actual paycheck coming, I think I'll actualy purchase internet for the home. Tough to do a good job on this. (That is, I know this sucks. Maybe I'll take some time on it next time. Hopefully.)