Friday, January 17

This Lakers-Rockets game is riveting---(possibly) the first time I've used that term to describe the NBA since the Blazers-Lakers 7-game Western Conference Finals in 2000. Or possibly last year's Western Conference Finals.

Mike Tirico is doubtlessly the most talented broadcaster in the business. Very smooth, very eloquent, I don't think he's ever stumbled over his words. Or gotten a fact wrong. Most importantly, he gives his color guys--Bill Walton and Tom Tolbert--the space they need. This game is entertaining not just because of the players, but because of the broadcasters.

Why I love Bill Walton: He just said "Tonight I've seen two of the worst instances of shot selection in the entire history of the Houston Rockets organization." Hyperbole-riffic!

And to think...come June, we'll be subjected to Brent Freakin' Musburger (go Cats! go NUR!), who is simply not suited for basketball. Talks too much. Overemphasizes the importance of a 2nd-quarter three-pointer. He's just annoying.

My favorite ex-WNUR broadcaster? Mike Lowe.

[PS - If they sell Yao Ming jersey tee's, count me in! woof.]