Monday, April 11

actual conversation (slightly abridged) between me and the boy today...

me: i'm not sure i like this cubs team
boy: yeah.
me: bad karma.
boy: yeah.
me: i don't understand why dusty insists on playing todd hollandsworth.
boy: there's a reason he's 30 and has never been a regular.
me: you know what you're getting with him. there's a chance dubois could be a real good one. you might as well find out.
boy: yeah.
me: why has hollandsworth 'earned his trust' and dubois, who's a pretty old guy anyway, not gotten a chance.
boy: it's a little annoying.
me: oh yeah. so how'd they wind up doing today?
boy: hollandsworth game-winning hit in the 12th.

note: i still don't think that hollandsworth should be the slam dunk starter. and the boy generally said more than 'yeah,' but i wanted to give myself the credit for being the force behind the conversation. i usually am, you know.

finished the first trip today, and have a nice off day tomorrow. it's an 'off' day, however, as i'll be heading for appleton tuesday and need to get stuff ready for our home opener (coming friday, and i'll be returning from appleton at about 5 a.m.), this is my big day for prep. combine that with the fact that i've got a meeting to find out if my investment guy is crooked and that the computer repair guy still hasn't called me (although 'andrew' calls me twice a day to make sure he has, then assures me that the technician will call me in 'an hour's time,' then calls back to say 'the technician is out of the cell phone coverage area. he will call you as soon as he gets back in' then calls me the next day to see if the technician has called yet, and then the cycle repeats) and that my day is starting at our printer at 7 a.m., and combine that with the fact that the official 'intern: i'm screwing you over at my boss' request' meeting is tentatively scheduled for sometime when me and weasel 1 and weasel's less-weasely counterpart and intern are in the office, and it won't really be off.

but my clothes do stink, so i need to find laundry time. and 24 continues, and that's much better live than taped. so i'll plan a 'home by 7:45' kind of day. i bought rud-jita materials at the grocery store when i returned.

willie's destroyers are apparently headed for a 8-1 week 1 win, losing only because juan pierre hasn't swiped a base.

i've got a ragtag bunch of utility guys on my team:
juan uribe - eligible at 3B, SS, 2B
michael cuddyer - eligibile at 3B, 2B, 1B, OF
pedro feliz - eligible at 3B, SS, 1B, OF
and now,
clint barmes - eligible at 2B, SS

casey blake, eligible at 3B, OF and soon 1B, is also out there. i'm going to wait to spring on him

barmes was an acquisition for probably this week only, and he'll take justin morneau's spot in the lineup this week. morneau is struggling after getting whacked in the head with a pitch last week, and i went with colorado's barmes - 2 HRs in week one, with games at home and at arizona - because he's hot and conditions are favorable.

i also have dallas mcpherson, 0-8 in triple-a, on my roster. woof.