Monday, April 17

Several have done it before, but Monday marks my first-ever "pack my life into the two-door car" trip. It's exciting, in its own way.

Concern:
I'll forget something stupid.

Solution:
I've brought two towels, my printer, and several books I'll never read again (or have yet to read).

Concern:
I'll not know where I'm going. This is pretty likely, when it comes right down to it.

Solution:
I've Mapquest'ed it. I even know my new address - credit card, bank accounts, and four magazines were updated last night.

Concern:
I'm not sure I'm really that excited about this job.

Solution:
It won't be the first time someone's not that excited. Chin up, chin up.

- - - - - - - - - - -

She's far, far more interesting than me. She's my sister, and you can find her here. I waived any probationary period, and I hope she doesn't let me down. It should be noted that it's been one full week since her first entry, although she promised me that there was a near-completed one in the works. It should also be noted that she started her e-venture only to secure a recommendation letter from a professor. Happy reading.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Highly-productive final ten or so days, I can proudly say. I think - think - that I spent quality time with every person with whom I could have reasonably hoped to spend some quality time before my departure. (If you're in the area, and I spent no quality time with you, well, I don't know, we'll probably get over it pretty quickly.)

- - - - - - - - - - -

Wednesday was a nine-to-five errand-running day, for the most part. I dropped several hundred dollars on various "necessities," which is never easy for me to do. It would have been several more hundred dollars had I gone to see an eye doctor who could deal with my misshapen eyes. That'll wait a few weeks. (He said, "Go see somebody in Michigan. No charge." That was nice, I guess, alhtough he probably would have known that he couldn't help me if he ever actually checked my records in advance. It happens.)

Best purchase:
An oversized bottle of Little Penguin, which I considered a hit at the Treem-fest on Friday, anyway.

Worst purchase:
One of those pedometer things. Let's be honest, it'll never get opened.


Wednesday also marked the official end of Rud-Pod v.1, which served dutifully from December 25, 2003, through April 12, 2006. Its first major usage came on a trip from Chicago to Detroit for the 2003 Motor City Bowl, joined by Deedz and the Boy, and featuring the pleasant sounds of, well, Mason Jennings. Its last major service came on Sunday night, April 9, blasting the sounds of the surprisingly entertaining Tapes 'n Tapes on the way to the Cubby Bear for Cubs-Cards. I believe Destroyer's Rubies was the final record it played on Tuesday night, although I can't be sure.

Wednesday also marked the beginning of the lifespan of Rud-Pod v.2, updated to the white, 30-gig variety. Who needs more than 30 gigs? Not me, I hope. With the extra space, much updating was done over these past few days. RPv2 is currently filled to approximately 75 percent capacity, although I'm reasonably sure I could easily cut that number to 50 percent with little regrets.

The first three records I've played on RPv2 that, due to space constraints, were left off RPv1:

Mary Lou Lord - God No Shadow, which isn't really that good.

Freedy Johnston - This Perfect World, which, contrary to what I may have said one week ago, is not actually among my top 50. Although it's probably top 150.

Mark Lanegan - Field Songs, which is really that good.

- - - - - - - - - -

With physical space constraints limiting the number of CDs that can be moved, I restricted myself to 80 CDs to make the trip; the rest were boxed up, never to be opened again, most likely.

(Not) Interesting notes from this group of 80:

- My initial filtration sense was pretty good, as I chose 86 during the first runthrough. This was quickly cut down to 80.

- Albums that I'll probably not listen to, but that were brought for credibility: Wire's Pink Flag, The Velvet Underground and Nico, and Marvin Gaye's What's Going On. Of these, VU is most likely to get played. It's also the best. I think it says something not-good about me that I'd bring Wire as a credibility choice.

- No Nirvana made the credibility-related cut.

- With both Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes lent to an intern and never returned, the only Guided by Voices CDs traveling north with me are Vampire on Titus/Propeller, Isolation Drills, and Half Smiles of the Decomposed. I don't believe that I brought any Robert Pollard solo work. This could be considered a major upset, and probably a lapse in judgment. Speak Kindly of Your Volunteer Fire Department is a great album to wake up to.

- I guess this means that I brought as many Decemberists records as GbV records, as Castaways and Cutouts, Her Majesty the Decemberists, and Picaresque all made the cut.

- I might be wrong, but I think Wilco gets credit for the most albums brought along, as Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Being There, and Mermaid Avenue v.1 all are coming. Add Uncle Tupelo's Still Feel Gone and Anodyne, making Jeff Tweedy is the most popular songwriter.

- I decided not not to overload myself with Beatles stuff. Rubber Soul was the one I selected.

- This is quite possibly the most boring portion of a boring post ever. Congratulations if you're still reading. Or, rather, I'm sorry.