Thursday, February 14

Ok, so this "three or four or five days a week thing" may be infeasible. Oh well.

I am a 27-year-old dude, and I cook for myself every night. It's usually real food, often involving slicing or steaming vegetables or simmering a soup or using spices or something like that. This can be considered odd.

So, considering that there are a variety of high-quality pizza places in the area, along with a slew of Mexican take-out places, some Chinese, and, I'm sure, several other high-quality establishments, why would I cook every night?

1) What else would I do?
2) Listening to music, singing along, and stirring something is more fun than watching TV.
3) Food I make, even if it's not that good, is more satisfying.
4) They never sell rutabaga at restaurants.

I eat a lot of rice-meat combinations. I make chili once or twice a month in the winter, usually. I like chicken wings. I don't make enough pasta, when it comes down to it, though I'm pretty good at improvising tomato-based sauces.

Here is my favorite thing that I make. It usually accounts for one dinner and two lunches. It did the trick tonight:

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 red peppers
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 bunch green onions, chopped, top half discarded
Rice, 1 1/2 cups dry or so
1 can chopped pineapple, drained
World Harbors Maui Mountain sauce

Marinade the chicken.
Slice the peppers, long and thin.

In a wok, cook the peppers a few minutes. Add the chicken. Add the onion. Add the rice. Add the beans. add the pineapple.

Serve with Tabasco, or without.

Wow.

However, it needs a name.