Thursday, April 20

I don't want to say that my job is awful, because it's not, but my roommate/direct supervisor [R/DS, maybe for the rest of the year] most certainly is completely, completely awful. And, yes, I'm a 26-year-old working as an intern-with-slightly-better-pay and a freakin' room in my supervisor's apartment. I mean, crap.

An indicator of how frustrated I've gotten: Two straight days, I've returned home from work and cracked a beer out of frustration. I never, never, cracked an immediate post-work beer out of frustration during previous offseasons. But when a boring, pointless conversation extends 35 minutes past the scheduled end of the workday, it can get to you. Or, at least, it got to me today.

I left a fantastic voicemail for Nemo on Tuesday, after Day One. If he were to email me, I'd post it, provided nobody was incriminated. Most likely, the posting would be self-incriminating, however, as I'd probably just come across as a villain. A confirmed villain, sigh.

The thing is, the R/DS is not a bad guy; he's just incredibly boring, and has no sense of when people are disinterested. For instance, he was watching an episode of Law & Order this evening. I mentioned that I hadn't seen it, ever. He proceeded to take me through the list of characters that had been written off the program and who had taken their place, as I kept my head down while eating dinner. Then he said, "Have you ever seen Dirty Dancing?," apparently referring to a character in both the show and the movie. I said, "Nope." He said, trying to better explain the actor to me, "Well, if you ever see it, he's the ..." I seriously doubt I'll see it.

I just finished watching an episode of The Office. During the preview for ER, I said, "That's John Leguizamo. He's was in To Wong Foo." His response: "Yes he was, and I have it on DVD if you want to watch it." Wong Foo! On DVD! What the...

The ridiculous things he's said are too numerous to name. At least, however, my suspicions were confirmed this afternoon while working with another co-worker. I asked about R/DS, and he basically said "Avoid being in the same room at all costs, not because he's a bad guy, but because he's so damn boring." I, of course, can't avoid him, but can confirm that he's boring. The story is also that he's a liar, although I've not confirmed that yet. Sigh.

But, again, the other six or seven people with whom I work seem nice enough. Unfortunately, I don't share an office with those six or seven people. Oh well.

[This just in: He also talks to his video games. 'C'mon, that was fair,' he just said. Dammit.]

- - - - -

D-Lee's hurt. Bad. Crap.

- - - - -

Spoke with Dirtbag a few days ago. He's still married. More importantly, married life has provided him with health insurance, which has provided him the opportunity to play company softball with no concerns about being health insurance-less.

Dirtbag was a pretty intense third base coach when he showed up. He also was suspended from a league in which he was substituting, after pegging a showboaty opposing baserunner in the chest. Dirtbag plays hard.

I wrote extensively about company softball last fall. A part of me is hopeful that Dirtbag will forward me his company softball reports. I'd dutifully repost them as written, although somehow I doubt it'll come to that.

- - - - - -

If you saw Conan O'Brien twice in two days, would you approach him while he was eating his lunch? What would you say?

Suggestions:
"Where's the masturbating bear? I thought you traveled together."
"Congratulations on your daughter!"
"You're far paler and odder-looking in person."
"I've always wanted my hair to puff up like yours. Not!"
"When you go on road trips from your desk, does your desk actually move?"
"How could someone who sucks so bad still have a show?"
"Will you get a chin implant when you take over for Leno?"
"How does it feel to be taking over for the worst talk show host ever?"
"Be honest with me here: The Finland show was completely unfunny, wasn't it?"
"Where's Andy?"
"Is Max really a creepy, creepy dude?"
"Are you more scared of Joel Goddard's gigantic mouth, or his odd ponytail?"
"Could you put me in an 'If They Mated' sketch? Please? Me and Britney Spears, preferably."

Any other suggestions are appreciated.