Thursday, May 4

First things first.

GbV's "I am a Scientist" is now up for vote in friends of a friend's Gimme Indie Rock tournament. The competition is Beck's second-seeded anthem "Loser," so it's an uphill climb, but GbV's showing strong early. Please vote, but just once. Vote for the other matchups, too, especially the Wire song, just to remain credible. Deadline is Sunday evening.

Let's get Bobby P. through to Round Three! Thanks.

- - - - - - - -

Things I like about the state of Michigan (or, at least, the ring fingernail of Michigan):

Late sunsets.
Last night, I worked until 7:20, had two beers at a co-worker-purchased dinner, returned home at 8:45, and still had time to fit in a run in daylight. And this is in early May, friends, early May!

Lake Michigan.
When I drive home from work, I'm on a four-lane state highway for about four minutes. At about the two-minute point, the road starts to dip into a bit of a valley. At this point, I take my eyes from the road and gaze straight ahead. About four miles in the distance - The Lake. Peninsulas to either side, and evergreens lining the view. It's breathtaking.

The Speed Limit.
Not because it's faster than everywhere I've ever driven regularly (it is), but because it's actually appropriate. People drive 75 on the Interstate, so it's a 75 zone. On said state highway, people drive 55. So it's 55. I sense that there are probably fewer speeding tickets here than in other places, although I might be wrong. It's a bit nice to be going three-over and to not be passed regularly. Seems about right.

The Hand.

The Fact That My Bosses Buy Lunch for the Staff Every Friday.
Sometimes they cater it, but I've only been here for concessions-sampling. Still, a good barbeque pork sandwich, and I love barbeque pork sandwiches. Also, sometimes there's cherry pie.

My Family's Karaoke Past.
A few years ago, The Boy called me from here. "I have a huge headache. And I hate mom and dad and our sister." "What's going on?" "We're at the ring-fingernail. They're doing karaoke. Karaoke! Freakin' 'Achy Breaky Heart.' I mean that! I hate them. They're the worst people ever. Ever. God, I can't stand them. This is worse than when they made us see Ricky Skaggs and the Whites play in Branson. They took us to Branson! And now we're doing karaoke at some redneck bar. When did they become rednecks!?" "Wow."

Note: I missed karaoke at this same redneck bar two weeks ago. The Bulls-Heat was higher on my to-do list. I'm sure we'll be back, though.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Things I don't like about the ring-fingernail of Michigan:

The Eastern Time Zone.
I've always thought that The 11 O'Clock News seemed too late to reasonably watch. And I'm right. Also, Conan's musical guest isn't on until 1:30. That seems too late. The workday still starts at nine (or earlier), right?

Six-Dollar Beers.
They're everywhere, it turns out, alhtough I wasn't buying while drinking these six-dollar beers. I'll stick to $2.50 High Lifes (also available), thank you very much.

The R/DS.
He doesn't do his dishes. Ever. To the point where I have to bring a bowl, a knife, and a spoon into my room with me at night, thereby guaranteeing that I'll have all necessary utensils for breakfast in the morning.

The R/DS.
He lies. A lot. It took 16 days, but tonight I finally got his legendary story about nearly being signed by his hometown Phillies out of an open tryout. "They loved my defense behind the dish, but I just sucked in the cage on the second day." This from a guy who, admittedly, couldn't make his suburban Philly high school team.

The R/DS.
Just tough to be around, in general. We're making it, though. Or, we'll make it, anyway.

- - - - - - - - - -

Odd things I've noticed about the ring fingernail of Michigan:

This Wacky 'No Parking' Sign.
It's about three minutes south of "In Town." It says "No Parking This Side of Sign." There is no definitive endpoint of the No Parking zone, although I'd assume it's the corner that is five yards away. Elsewhere in town, there is a properly-written "No Parking From Here to Corner" sign, but not at this particular corner.

"Immediate Seating."
Maybe it's not uncommon, but I've noticed it here for the first time. Several restaurants have neon signs, flashed on and off like a hotel's Vacancy sign, that say "Immediate Seating." I guess it's important during high-tourist season, but it still strikes me as odd.

- - - - - - - - -

One of my superiors is gone Friday and Saturday, so I'll be running our ticket office for those days. I think I'll be able to handle it. Bring in the iPod, and dance the day away. I only add this piece of information so that I can write why my superior will be away: He's graduating college on Saturday.

Movin' on up, I am.

Woof.