Monday, February 18

Last Wednesday, I had my best run in, like, forever. Slated for four miles, it went five, in large part because I was listening to The National's Boxer and the new Vampire Weekend record. Bouncy, fun, exciting, on both counts.

It was a nice-ish night - 25 degrees or so, limited wind - so I made the decision to strap on the running shoes and go outside. It's a nice feeling to sweat in sub-freezing temperatures, in its own way. So I strapped up my high socks, put on two long-sleeved t-shirts (the One Size Fits All free Sports Illustrated shirt, plus the navy blue 2003 TwinsFest shirt), pulled on the navy blue knit cap and my gray semi-warm gloves, and wrapped my neck in a gray bandanna. I also wore pants.

Often, I'll run to The Ring Fingernail's public almost-a-mile track do a lap, and return home - it's about a 2.5 mile trip, which makes for a six mile run or so. But I've not been to that distance in quite a bit, so I drove to the track and prepared to circle it four times. It's a pretty happening track - the complex also houses an ice area, a skate park, a few playgrounds, some basketball courts, a few softball fields, and small inclines that serve as tiny sledding hills this time of year. It's also a busy place - without fail, there are several others running or walking dogs or walking alone.

But this run was awesomer.

Things that were good about this run:
1) The musical accompaniment, as mentioned
2) The fact that, for some reason, a group of about 12 cars and 30 people were gathered in the parking lot, tailgating. Grilling, playing music loudly, hanging out. I couldn't figure out why, but it sure smelled good. It wasn't a great night, but they made their own fun, and it was awesome.
3) Ice on your beard is so cool.

- - - - - - -

The Mountain Goats' Heretic Pride comes out tomorrow. New Mountain Goats records make me very excited.