Tuesday, February 19

I did something totally cool and totally manly on Saturday morning: I paid for a beard trim.

I paid for a haircut as well, but the beard trim was clearly the highlight. The smock (What do you call the thing the barber covers you with? The cover?) was basically a brown flecked with white in the vicinity of the neck when it was through and, truth be told, it was about the most satisfying five minutes of my life. Or, at least, of my Saturday morning.

I've determined that the Saturday morning barber shop experience is a good one. I was about the only person there solo - the rest were dads with their son(s), and I heard no prison rape jokes. (The last time I went to this particular barber shop - 13 months ago - I got prison rape jokes over the length of my curling-around-the-neck mop and, therefore, resolved not to return. This brought me to a far-more-expensive haircut at Supercuts the next time and then, ultimately, 11 months spent trimming it myself.)

The highlight:
Barber One: How does he want it cut?
Dad: Just a regular little boy's haircut.
Barber One: [gesturing to Barber Two's occupied chair] Does he want it like his brother's, or would he like it even?

Pretty funny, in a wholesome way, you see. It was awesome.

Also, I got no prison rape jokes.

- - - - - -

Reason for the haircut is a biggish weekend in which I will benefit from looking grownup, clean, something like that. I've got two interviews this weekend - Friday in Evanston, Saturday in Hyde Park - and I'd like to at least look the part. I'd also like to know what I'm supposed to say though, honestly, not knowing what to say has gotten me this far.

I think it'll be a quick weekend - in to the suburbs Thursday post-work, probably about 11ish. To Evanston late afternoon Friday for the interview, then back to Glenview to sleep early. Chicago interview is 2:30, I believe, then probably back home. It'll probably be snowy and awful Sunday, so I'll try to leave early.

A "business trip," as they say.

- - - - - - -

I'd be doing a better job of preparing, but Gurs told me that Wilco's show at the Riviera is streaming live on WXRT. It is, and it's so, so, so good. Gosh, they're awesome.